Happy September! So many links for you this week. And this really, really, really cool textile sculpture.
- N. K. Jemisin on Diversity in Science Fiction and Inspiration From Dreams
- Strange Horizons Editorials: The Next Horizon
- Fiyah: Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction
- Colson Whitehead On Writing, Slavery, And The True Origins Of America
- I’m Northwestern’s president. Here’s why safe spaces for students are important.
- How a Self-Published Writer of Gay Erotica Beat Sci-Fi’s Sad Puppies at their Own Game I thought this was a really interesting perspective but I also think the writer’s attitudes towards people with mental illnesses or who are neuroatypical was a bit othering–at best.
- How Fox News Women Took Down Roger Ailes
- Verification isn’t a status symbol. It’s a necessary shield against harassment.
- Don’t Look Away: Fighting Sexual Harassment in the Scifi/Fantasy Community
- Ageism in SFF
- On Being a Late Bloomer
- Radical Futures and Conservative Sensitivities
- White Rapper Spekulation Is Retiring to Make More Room for Black Artists in Seattle Hiphop
- Colin Kaepernick Shows That #BlackLivesMatter Even When His Career May Not
- Gene Wilder’s Genius Was in His Simmering Hysteria
- I Got Scammed By A Silicon Valley Startup
- Facebook Recommended That This Psychiatrist’s Patients Friend Each Other
- Ask Bear: I Know My Boyfriend is Abusive. Why Can’t I Leave? This is such a kind and compassionate answer to a really hard question.
- So, You Must Talk to the Woman Who Is Wearing Headphones
- This Vote Is Legally Binding
- Bugs Bunny – The Origins of an American Icon
- Links, No Award Special Edition: Australia is beautiful: See a hawk literally throw a snake at an innocent family
- EVE beginner’s guide: How to get into EVE Online, gaming’s most savage and rewarding MMO
- For Personal Use Only: Restrictive Clauses in Craft Patterns
- What does it cost to hire top talent in fiber arts? I’m glad you asked.
- Next Year’s Words: Science Fiction, Innovation, and Continuity
- Fatness, Femininity and the Media We Deserve
- Dissociation is scary. Dissociation is safety.
- She was the PTA mom everyone knew. Who would want to harm her? This is…something. And if the target had not been a Nice White Lady, I think we can all imagine how this would have gone.
- With joyless prose about joyless people, Jonathan Safran Foer’s ‘Here I Am’ is kitsch at best
- The 5K, Not The Marathon, Is The Ideal Race This slips a bit into healthism, but I found it interesting nonetheless.
- This 100-Year-Old To-Do List Hack Still Works Like A Charm May need to try this sometime–there are days when my lists get a bit out of control.
- In Orlando, A ‘Modest Fashion’ Boutique For Hijabi Women
- I Was Taught to Hate My Lesbian Neighbors. They Took Me In Anyway.
- Mental Health Break Content warning: the first few panels of this comic have images of self-harm in them.
- 5 Things I Learned Watching My Mom’s YouTube Cooking Show
- WTFUK This reminds me of the UK KNit Camp debacle from (oh goodness) six years ago where the organizer didn’t bother getting the teachers visas.
- The Problem with “Curry”
- Gathering of the Tribes: The Pipeline Protest at Standing Rock
- 3 Things You Need to Know About Indigenous Efforts Against the Dakota Access Pipeline
- Today’s Vagenda
- A transcript of Hillary’s disastrous debate prep
- The Trump pivot is dead, in its place was a hate speech
- Is Rudy Giuliani Losing His Mind? (ugh that headline)
- How Hillary Clinton can get that ‘presidential look’ There are a few fat jokes in here, but nothing I found too terrible.
Make a Suggestion for the Links Roundup!
[gravityform id=”1″ title=”false” description=”false”]