- Bill Paxton schools Ben Affleck on how to deal with slave-owning ancestors “We have a tendency to want to hide the bad parts of our history, but we have to shine a light on all of it in order to understand who we are.”
- The Man Who Broke the Music Business
- The Cult of Work You Never Meant to Join So I have my work email on my phone now and holy wow it’s hard to ignore that little red number notifying me that I have unread emails.
- Life in Chains: Finding Home at Taco Bell
- We are cruel. We always have been. The Internet did not make us so.
- List: How to Throw Like a Girl.
- Myuran Sukumaran’s death-row paintings cry out against a monstrous inhumanity
- The Cost of Paying Attention
- It’s just the internet.
- The new memorial to Sean Collier at MIT is an astonishing piece of engineering.
- A Trans Story Is a Ghost Story
- Game of Fear: The Story Behind GamerGate
- Nonviolence as Compliance in Baltimore and Everyday Violence in Baltimore both by Ta-Nehisi Coates, both important to read.
- ‘Thug’: The Surprisingly Ancient History of a Racially Charged Epithet
- Imagining a Safer Space: Building Community & Ending Harassment in Punk
- A Brief Guide to Gender in India This is a powerful piece. Hard to read.
And on a (much) lighter note–today’s the first of May!
(Here’s an essay from the young man who created this video about why he is no longer creating them. It is long but very much worth a read.)