- A New ‘Wrinkle in Time’ L’Engle’s granddaughter has made three pages cut from the draft of A Wrinkle in Time public and they are fascinating.
- Jon Ronson’s ‘So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed’ “But the actual problem with the Internet isn’t us hastily tweeting off about foolish people. The actual problem is that none of the men running those bazillion-dollar Internet companies can think of one single thing to do about all the men who send women death threats.”
- Putin’s Action Hero: How Steven Seagal Became the Kremlin’s Unlikeliest Envoy This is…I am not sure what this is. It’s a thing.
- The Woman Who Woke Up in the Future Brains are WEIRD.
- Spalding Gray’s Catastrophe Brains are also often not our friends.
- Build-A-Bear Yes, it starts out as an essay about Build-A-Bear, but keep going. It’s worth it.
- Now What? How to Create Fair Companies after the Ellen Pao Verdict
- Enter the dull world of vintage corporate boardgames See, I don’t find this stuff dull at all–yes, the games probably aren’t fun to play, but they are fascinating material artifacts.
- 17 Things Only Lazy Productive People Understand This is basically me.
- Guided by the Beauty of Their Weapons: An Analysis of Theodore Beale and his Supporters Pretty much the only Hugo post you need this week. This is a thing of beauty and a joy forever, especially this part:
First of all, you are wrong, Theodore Beale. You are the emperor of a tiny patch of shit, and if you are remembered, it will only be as a joke. You are not a great man. Yours is not the voice of god, but just the voice of a sad, pathetic man. You will die, and everything you wrote will be lost to the sands of time, and everything you valued will become a half-forgotten relic if it becomes anything at all. Nobody will care. The world you want will never arise.
This comes immediately after what a commenter at Whatever called a “palate-cleansing litany of fuck yous” and any blog post that has Leonard Cohen’s “First We Take Manhattan” in its title is also going to have me on its side.