It’s awards nomination season again and it will never not feel weird to say, “Hey, here’s some stuff I did, if you want to nominate me, that would be great,” but here we are.
Last year, I was a finalist for the Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer and it was, honestly, one of the nicest things that’s ever happened to me. This year, I’m eligible in that category again and my essays are also eligible in Best Related Work.
Here’s some stuff I wrote last year:
- Two controversies I wrote a lot of words about:
- OdysseyCon and their insistence that it was totally okay to let Jim Frenkel be a part of their convention despite his well-documented predation upon vulnerable members of our community: “OdysseyCon Fucks Up But Good” and “OdysseyCon: Still On Fire”
- Patreon changed how they were going to process patron payments, apparently without talking to anyone but their high profile creators: “Funny Money, Patreon Style” and “Start-Up Suicide, Patreon Style”
- My annual analysis of the Locus Recommended Reading List
- In Short, my short fiction review series
- My reviews of all the Hugo-nominated fiction last year
- My review of Ann Leckie’s Provenance and my review of Martha Wells’s All Systems Red
- My essay about The Flash: “Props or People? The Women of The Flash”
- “Why You Should Read Romance” published in Uncanny
- “Monitoring My Mind: MST3K and Me” also published in Uncanny
- Every week, I curate a series of links. They’re often arranged thematically and I approach them as if they were essays. Last year, I shared just over 600 links.
- I have a Twitter and I try to use it for good.
Thanks for your consideration, I really appreciate it. xoxo