- Maggie Stiefvater on literary rape.
- On Book Covers and What Makes Them “Lousy” This is a good follow on to the Lousy Book Covers Tumblr from a few weeks ago
- 25 Hard Truths About Writing and Publishing All of these are true!
- Sex + Power = ? Really fantastic examination of erotic romance with a D/s edge.
- Critical Reviews & Critical Advocacy Yet another wonderful post from Kelly at Stacked.
- E-books, Wonkiness, and Feminism: Some Thoughts on Ruthie Knox’s About Last Night
- Realistic Depictions of Rape in Romance Superb guest post at Dear Author from Rebecca Rogers Maher.
- You’re Not Punk “Punk? Right now, it’s just this thing you tape to the end of another word to make it sound cooler; shorthand for “hip/weird contemporary fantasy”, when that’s actually a pretty good description already.”
- Sleeps With Monsters: Lesbian SFF Romance Was goaded into commenting a recommendation for Katherine V. Forrest’s Daughters of a Coral Dawn. Which is unsubtle lesbian separatist SF that is very much of its time. There are evil men and the planet is called Maternas. I may have to reread.
- The American Case Against a Black Middle Class
- Women in Realistic Outfits Does what it says.
- Micro-aggression, sexism, and cover art Seanan McGuire has some thoughts on this subject.
- Cadair Idris, Jo Walton This made me think of Robin Williamson’s rendition of “The Battle of the Trees” from Songs of Love and Parting. I can’t seem to even find the words online–and the book that Williamson wrote that has the words has been out of print since, well, forever. I have a bound photocopy made for me by a friend many years ago. Sigh.
- Why You Never Truly Leave High School The subtitle cracks me up: “New science on its corrosive, traumatizing effects.”
- Swarming a Book Online Organized one-star reviews intended to negatively affect a book’s sales. I kind of want to read the Michael Jackson book referenced in this article. I have a sick fascination with him.
Before commenting, please read the comment policy.