Here we are, coming up on the longest night and then the turning of the year. I wish I could say that things were going to get better, but they probably won’t. In that spirit, the first few links are about resilience, resistance, and responsibility.
I’m taking the rest of the year off. I’m feeling a lot better, but I still feel fragile and I’d like to get my new routines firmly in place before wading back into the fray.
If you celebrate a holiday this time of year, I hope it’s a good one.
- Marissa Lingen’s annual lussekatter post: This is a long-distance call
- Abi Sutherland on resistance and self-care: Taking it back
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Now Is the Time to Talk About What We Are Actually Talking About
The premise for empathy has to be equal humanity; it is an injustice to demand that the maligned identify with those who question their humanity.
- Andrea Phillips on The High Goddamn Responsibility of Fiction
- Kelly Diels had two posts this week that I’m still thinking about: The Patriarchal Promise and The Body, Stored Stress, and The Politics of Resentment
- Tasmeen Raja persuasively argues: Don’t Stop Arguing Complaining And Fighting For ‘Identity Politics’
- ‘Politically Correct’: The Phrase Has Gone From Wisdom To Weapon So glad that the media is catching up to this. You’re only about 25 years late.
- Fear of a cuck planet Interesting and thoughtful analysis of the word “cuck” and white supremacy.
- Really fascinating discussion of Rasputin and the Romanovs: Destruction Myth
- Friend of the blog Alex Acks is raising money for charity by subjecting themself to 50 Shades Darker: Okay, monsters, this is the deal.
- We Don’t Talk About ‘Radicalization’ When an Attacker Isn’t Muslim. We Should. Damn right we should.
- Interesting proof of concept: This $5 Device Can Hack Your Locked Computer In One Minute
- When Big Ideas Go Bad The women’s network at my job had webinar on power poses earlier this year. It sounded like bullshit at the time and I’m not surprised that the research doesn’t support Cuddy’s assertions.
- 20 Questions About 2016 With Lin-Manuel Miranda
- Donald Trump Is Gaslighting America Can we talk about what a fucking amazing job Teen Vogue is doing at calling this shit what it is?
- Trump Grill Could Be the Worst Restaurant in America This reminds me of nothing so much as the New York Times review of Guy Fieri’s restaurant from a few years back.
She dabbles in writing speculative fiction and poetry, but non-fiction is her bread and butter. She’s known for her coverage of various issues within genre around sexism and harassment, and can be found on Twitter as @eilatan.
With Annalee Flower Horne, she is a co-founder of the intersectional geek blog, The Bias.