This is a European goldfinch, which looks completely different than the ones who hang out in my backyard.
- I’m so disappointed in you, Tim. Great rebuttal by Karen here.
- Nisi Shawl Discusses Everfair, Diversity in Publishing, and Giving a Voice to Those Silenced by History I started reading Everfair this week and so far it’s fabulous.
- Bitch Planet Cosplay as a Woman of Color Love love love.
- Why Do Tourists Visit Ancient Ruins Everywhere Except the United States? Because racism, of course.
- WITNESS: You May Never See a Better Video Than Mad Max: Fury Road Without Special Effects
- A New Gathering Spot at Arlington: Capt. Humayun Khan’s Grave
- Begin as you mean to go on, or why I’m willing to quit
- Why your Facebook feed is filled with women selling essential oils and press-on nails I’ll note that the headline is a bit flip, but the article itself does not condescend to or demean women who sell these things–the writer’s targets are MLMs and structural inequalities that make these businesses appealing to women.
- White House women want to be in the room where it happens
- Off the Cuff, but on the Record NOT COOL. Suki Kim’s account is here–and she points out a phrasing in the NYT article I hadn’t noticed: What Happened in Brisbane.
- When a Crackpot Runs for President I am so frustrated and annoyed by all the false equivalences I’ve been seeing in the media. Rawr.
Huzzah, I have a nice collection of reader submitted links for y’all this week. I will note that some folks have been using the form to try to get me to promote their nonsense: cut it out, not cool.
- From Lilysea we have the following:
- Farming Invented Twice in the Middle East, Genomes Study Reveals
- The Macaroni in ‘Yankee Doodle’ is Not What You Think
- Lasting Relationships Rely On two traits (kindness and engagement)
- Margot Robbie on Harley Quinn
- If sirens sang about things other than sex
- 40% of people find happiness again after major depression (supportive relationships help a lot)
- Please never pay a farmer to ask me to marry you
- How fear and anxiety can stop you from creating (not new, but definitely worth the read!)
- Why Do AMC Cinemas Hate Blind People?
- Petrea Mitchell sends this in–and it’s well worth your time; there are descriptions of domestic violence: CTE isn’t just a disease of highly paid athletes: “When Janay Rice was knocked out cold in the elevator, attention was all about how Ray Rice had previous concussions. Nobody mentioned that the woman in the elevator suffered a brain injury right in front of everybody’s eyes.”