This hummingbird gets me.
The world’s still on fire and everything’s going to hell but here I am, doing my best to keep on keeping on, you know?
I’ve been doing work around the house–I made my art space pretty!–and I’ve done a lot of organizing and we are getting landscaping done with is so exciting! I’m going to have hydrangeas and a lilac and a pollinator garden in the front and I’m hoping to get two trees planted in the front next month (an Eastern Redbud and a Japanese maple) and the horror that is the right side yard will be tamed once and for all with the removal of everything but the azaleas and the addition of grass seed so all we’ll need to do is mow and maaaaaybe trim the azaleas so they look slightly less scraggly (after they bloom).
And I know that making a garden doesn’t actually fix the broken bits of the world, but it’s something I have some control over and that is no small thing.
- How I Decide Who Gets Banned on OkCupid I really liked this, mainly because of the emphasis on human engagement in community moderation–at this point in time, this isn’t something that we can both automate and do effectively. I’m looking at you Twitter, with your automated soft bans which may or may not involve verified status.
- FBI’s ‘Gamergate’ file says prosecutors declined to charge men believed to have sent death threats — even when they confessed on video Boys will be boys, amirite or amirite?
- The Improbable Life of the Inventor of the Modern Bra This lady sounds amazing.
- Remembering Nüshu the 19th-Century Chinese Script Only Women Could Write
- The Women of ‘Star Wars.’ (It’s Not Who You Think.)
- The Golden Glow of Beyoncé’s Grammys
- Experts in the Field This is a pretty difficult read–as a content note, it’s about predatory men and abuse.
- Reflecting on one very, very strange year at Uber But tech doesn’t have a misogyny problem, right?
- Is Willpower a Finite Resource, or a Myth? I found this to be really super interesting and while I’m clearly not any sort of expert, I have noticed that there are some things I am much better at doing (or not doing) when I reframe them in a way that doesn’t involve me berating myself for screwing up–but also holding myself accountable.
- Why few people dare eat the boss’s M&Ms and other dynamics of the office candy jar This is so interesting–there’s even an infographic!
- After an employee died, her team has driven off anyone we hire to replace her This. Is. BANANAS.
- And finally: McMansion Hell features a house in the large unincorporated area in which we live! It is a horrible house and I am pleased to say that we live all the way on the other side of Bear from it (of course I looked it up).
Make a Suggestion for the Links Roundup!