Enjoy this nice soothing picture of some jellyfish before diving into this week’s links–I’ve been reading too much about incels, con men, and manipulation. All the content warnings for this week’s post.
- The manipulative power of “You understand.” This is a fun rhetorical trick that some people like to use. Generally used to make the listener feel as if they’re being unreasonable.
- You understand, these dudes deserve sex. Except it’s not actually sex they want: it’s power they want and their desire for power is fueled by the vilest sort of misogyny.
- So much white male entitlement.
- I’m sure y’all have read this piece from the Los Angeles Times, but in case you haven’t: the saga of Dirty John.
- But sometimes, just sometimes, the internet helps women find each other and lets them do something about the man who took advantage of them.
…and that’s all I’ve got this week.