- Why I Am A Bad Feminist I really need to pick up Gay’s new book. Obvious Natalie is obvious.
- More Roxane Gay: My Receipt Was Not Good Enough
- You Probably Shouldn’t Go See Ridley Scott’s Pretty Racist ‘Exodus’ Movie Why, Hollywood, why?
- The white man who murdered Renisha McBride was found guilty on all counts. Good.
- On Being Stalked This is an utterly chilling and terrifying thing to read. Content warnings all over this.
- The Abortion Ministry of Dr. Willie Parker
- A Real Grown-Up Name This is a wonderful piece of Dirty Dancing fanfic. Honest.
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success? There’s no motivation at all for them to fix the service. Boo.
- Twitter harassment: User-created apps Block Together, Flaminga, and the Block Bot crack down on Twitter abuse.
- Your Well-Written Anti-Harassment Policy is Insufficient
- Anti-Harassment statements – you don’t know until you know
- The Case Against Cards Against Humanity: Is Max Temkin a Horrible Person?
- “I Do Not Know What My Gender Is”: On Messy Transitions
- On Feeling Depleted: Naming, Confronting, and Surviving Oppression in the Academy
- The Problem With Minimalism
- I Take the Low Road About High Culture: A Rebuttal
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory cover condemned as ‘creepy’, ‘grotesque’ and ‘inappropriately sexualised’
- Rituals Work This is something I really need to keep in mind when it comes to my creative work. I get too wrapped up in being perfect right out of the gate when really it should be about the process.
- Pouches: The Case For Respect
- Why The New Vikings Stadium Is A Problem It’s a problem for the BIRBS. Am VERY CONCERN.
- Women Made of Chrome
- James Davis Nicoll reviews Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle and the comments yielded this gem: Science Fiction Mavens Offer Far Out Homeland Security Advice and well, I can’t stop laughing at this part:
The 45-minute panel discussion quickly deteriorated as federal, local and state homeland security officials, and at least one congressional aid, attempted to ask questions, which were largely ignored.
Instead the writers used their time to pontificate on a variety of tangentially related topics, including their past roles advising the government, predictions in their stories that have come to pass, the demise of the paperback book market, and low-cost launch into space.
- RAINN Donations for MZB’s The Mists of Avalon
- The State of British SF and Fantasy: A Symposium
- British inventor builds giant ‘fart machine’ to fire at France
- Secular Humanist Comfort Poem
- I just discovered my husband of six years is a Reddit troll, and I’m pregnant This is just awful.
- AOL’s only profitable because 2 million forgot to cancel their subscriptions I’m pretty sure this is how gyms make money, too.
- Duke’s Legacy: Video Game Source Disc Preservation at the Library of Congress
- The Secret Treasure Room Possibly best birthday gift ever?
- I never knew that there was a dirge hiding inside of “You Are My Sunshine” but apparently there is. I actually love this and think it’s gorgeous and am sad that I didn’t discover The Civil Wars until earlier this year.
Before commenting, please read the comment policy.