Not a lot of linkage this week–I’ve been spending dramatically less time immersed in social media over the last week, so the cupboard is a bit sparse.
- A Tale of Two Characters N.K. Jemisin talks about readers’ very different reaction to two characters, Oree Shoth and Ehiru.
- A 12 year-old studies the weird cost of playing as a girl
- Crying for Ana Mendieta at the Carl Andre Retrospective This is enraging and amazing at the same time. (h/t to Rat for sending this my way!)
- GamerGate is killing video games. gg noobs
- Disabled and Fighting for a Sex Life This article made me think of this but it also made me think of Harriet McBryde Johnson and “The Disability Gulag” which should be required reading and which I know I’ve linked before but always deserves to be linked again. Always. And here’s her “Unspeakable Conversations”, too.
- Lawrence Wright on Scientology’s “broken community,” and the complicity of Tom Cruise and John Travolta
- Rest well, Terry Pratchett. I found J.B. Whelan’s piece on the importance of Pratchett’s work to him quite moving as well.