Right, so the day job is making me pull my hair out right now (SAP implementation gone pear-shaped, lolsob), so here’s some links.
- Black Girls Are Being Pushed Out of School
- Here’s an utterly amazing speech by U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves given as he sentenced three white murderers.
- Planning your weekend getaway to Jason Nation (It’s HUGE!)
- “Games deserve better than the games industry.”
- Let’s Call Female Online Harassment What It Really Is: Terrorism
- There’s No Morality in Exercise: I’m a Fat Person Who Made a Successful Fitness App (note: there’s an animated GIF at the top of this piece) I’ve been playing one of the games developed by Naomi Alderman and Six to Start (The Walk) and it just makes me happy to know that this is their attitude towards exercise and that one of the developers is fat. That really means a lot to me. More than I can put into words, really.
- Why the rhetoric surrounding Beyoncé and Beck annoys me “Let’s work to avoid falling into the trap of demonizing collaboration, women, and traditions that don’t fit perfectly into the individual, musical genius narrative that excludes so many cultural and artistic traditions.”
- The Fight for Masculinity in Science Fiction The gift that keeps on giving, yo.
- Black, queer, feminist, erased from history: Meet the most important legal scholar you’ve likely never heard of
- How Etsy Alienated Its Crafters and Lost Its Soul Yep.
- Kameron Hurley on Trigger Warnings and Neil Gaiman For me, this is the heart of Hurley’s argument: “What kind of a world do we live in where other professionals, other creators, fear the social power of another creator to such an extent that they can’t even have professional disagreements? And if other creators won’t say anything, what about the people in our society that these sorts of warnings were designed to protect? Why would any of them say, ‘Hey, that’s not cool?’ and risk the pile-on?”
- Damage This is a powerful and painful piece. The subject is female genital mutilation.
- Ta-Nehisi Coates remembers David Carr.
- A Century After Being Cast into the River Thames, a Celebrated Typeface Reemerges
- If raiding guilds were actually honest I’m pretty sure I’ve run into this actual guild a few times.
Have a delightfully 80’s video. With dinosaurs.