Okay, now that that’s out of the way, on to the links.
- Off the Clock: Space Opera Millennials and Their Grand Narratives This is a great essay. And not just because it cites Claude Levi-Strauss.
- Mental Illness and the Male Gaze: “The Sexy Tragic Muse is vulnerable, and her vulnerability is sexualized. Her inability to properly care for herself or make decisions on her own behalf is presented as being part of her appeal.”
- The Professor: This is a difficult to read but powerful piece. Content warning for descriptions of spousal abuse and discussion of abuse dynamics and toxic masculinity.
- “Rape is systemic. And like all systems of brutality it does not exist merely at the pleasure of its most direct actors. It depends on a healthy host-body of people willing to look away.“
- Fascinating piece on the enduring appeal of advice columns: “Readers expected a sympathetic ear; but not an infinitely indulgent one. One of the joys of reading the problem pages is to see people who deserve a ticking-off receive an amusingly brutal one.”
- Thought-provoking piece on fostering better workplaces: If you see something…
- Is Medicine’s Gender Bias Killing Young Women? This hits close to home for me as my mother died from a heart attack at the age of 47: the issues she was having were not “typical” heart attack symptoms and she didn’t think it was serious enough to go to the doctor. This is really important.