Now, I know that Jason Sanford has already posted one, but certainly our field is large and diverse enough to contain more than one Hugo Awards Drinking Game (drink!). So, in that spirit, here is my rendition of the theme.
Interpret “drink” however you’d like: in the hope of saving my liver, I’m going to be conservative in my interpretation.
Take a drink every time:
- You catch yourself desperately counting rockets on stage and dividing to try and calculate no awards.
- No Award wins a Hugo Award.
- Someone either makes an “air quotes” gesture or uses a significant pause to indicate such.
- Someone makes a plea for civility
- Something you ranked first wins or something you left off the ballot entirely wins.
Take two drinks every time:
- A Sad Puppy wins a Hugo Award.
- David Gerrold makes a joke about Lou Antonelli’s slo-mo SWATting of the convention.
- Someone refers to “politcs” or “controversies” or “puppies”.
- Someone equates editorial control or being vigorously disagreed with to censorship.
- A dead white male writer is held up as the gold standard of SFF writing.
Take as many drinks as you need to dull the pain:
- A Rabid Puppy wins a Hugo Award.
Alternate drinking games:
- “Just drink. No games. Gaming the system ruins the system.”
- “Just drink. Keep drinking.”
- “Wait until it’s done. Burn everything to the ground. Drink.” (locked Twitter account)
- Mary Robinette Kowal has made us a bingo card to go along with the ceremony!
Feel free to make additional suggestions in the comments.